08 October 2007

What a Week!

Okay, I know nothing about sports. To me it's like another universe that my brain isn't wired to comprehend. But, Jesus, even I was gobsmacked this weekend with the rugby quarterfinals. Australia and New Zealand knocked out? We were in the sleepy Cotswolds on Saturday afternoon when we heard the bewildered shouts of joy from the English, and everyone was going "Really?" and shaking their heads and then laughing with sudden abandon as the news sank in. Now, of course, it's really looing good for my countryfolks, the Springboks! Go, Springboks! (I'm only pretending to be excited because I'm sure they'll win. I don't really give a shit about them! Well, that's not entirely true. I do have patriotic pride. If you think I'm sounding ditzy, it's what growing up under apartheid does.)

We're trying to make the most of Oxford, sampling its pubs and restaurants, and its cultural offerings. Went to a play on Friday night - Visiting Mr. Green - a two person play, where a young man who hit an old guy has to do community service, by visiting the old guy, helping him, etc. The two develop a bond and confide their secrets to each other. A good play, kept you engaged, and the acting topnotch. Then on Saturday evening we went to a classical concert at the Sheldonian - a very interesting venue. The orchestra is right in the middle of the room which is round and the audience is seated in tiers against the walls. Great acoustics because you're quite close to the orchestra. We heard Tchaikovsky's Patetique.

On Saturday we went into the Cotswolds close to the source of the Thames and did a river walk which was part of the Thames Path - a National Trail. Very, very enjoyable with green fields on either side and then you come to old stone churches and pretty bridges and you see lots of swans and ducks. Wow! Quite uplifting. Close to the source the iver looks like a stream and it's hard to believe it's the same river that flows through London and which is such a prominent part of the city's identity.

We spent Sunday with the Epsteins in Kenilworth. We helped them harvest their apples, had a nice big lunch and hten Rona and I went to an event in Warwick. It was an afternoon tea with the author Sophie Hannah who read exerpts from her crime fiction novels. I' never been into Warwick before and very much enjoyed the old Tudor buildings and the remains of the ancient city walls. Back at their home we made apple pies which we had for afters.

And so, it's Monday morning, and my manuscript beckons. I am working up the courage to look at Lou Lynda's comments on the next chapters!

No comments: