05 April 2010

Mexico City

I went to Mexico City for my spring break which was last week. This came about because my sousin from London is traveling in Mexico and invited me to join her. She has friends scattered in various parts of the country so I got to stay with friends of hers whilst there. Here are some highlights of my trip:
1. Getting to know Adriana, Fernanda, Jorge, and Aldo. I stayed at their lovely home in the very middle class suburb of Satelite. They made me feel like a part of their family. It was so wonderful to be in a foreign country and have warm, friendly souls open up their home to you.

2. Practicing my Spanish, which I admit is appalling, but I did enjoy being able to speak it and be understood.

3. Diego Rivera's murals - oh, what a treat, what a sensational experience - to stand in front of the enormous murals - MAN, CONTROLLER OF THE UNIVERSE - and the other famous ones - and to try to absorb them. Also enjoyed seeing Orozco's and Siquiero's murals.

4. The pyramids in Teotihuacan and being able to climb to the top!

5. The Templo Mayor and the Anthropological Museum - where I learned about the Aztecs and Mayans.

6. Frido Kahlo's Casa Azul - that was almost a spiritual experience.

7. The hospitality and friendliness of the Mexican people.


I'll blog more about my trip when I have a little more time!!

No comments: