22 June 2010

Solstice

We celebrated the solstice in style last night. We went to a Bollywood party hosted by our newest Indian restaurant in town. They tried really hard to make it a great party, which was very well attended. We were dressed in Indian clothes and so were most of the people at the party. They served a wide selection of very tasty dishes, buffet style. Live Indian classical music created a party like atmosphere. Afterwards we were entertained by six young lady dancers dressed in bright, beautiful silk saris. They did some Bollywood dances which were delightful to watch. Who would've thought - an Indian evening right here in Santa Barbara!

This morning I awoke to the news that Bafana Bafana were playing France and had already scored two goals. I'm not into sports at all and have not watched any of the FIFA games. But, seeing as how the country of my birth is hosting the games, I've been following the highlights in some sort of oblique fashion. Mostly, I worry about what's going to go wrong. I should mention that my love for South Africa varies from hot to cold depending on Zapiro's cartoons and what I'm drinking! Regardless, I'm holding my breath this entire month. I obsessively check out the Mail and Guardian (of South Africa) website for reassurance. So far so good, though not perfect by a long shot. The weather, for example. I believe that the French team hightailed it back to France as soon as they left the field. In yesterday's news some French guy complained about the Highveld's bitter cold. Can't say I blame them for wanting to escape to warm, sunny France. You're frowning, wondering if I know the real juice on them and their obnoxious behavior in South Africa. As I said, I have been following the news obliquely!! Bafana Bafana is out, but thankfully, not in a humiliating way. Thank you, Coach Parreira!

So, I'm on my summer vacation. Spending it at home this year. No traveling for the next two months. Planning to take advantage of our local offerings. A big summer event here in Santa Barbara is a series of concerts performed by very talented musicians of the Music Academy of the West. We'll be going to two operas (Don Giovanni and a medley of opera favorites), a couple of chamber concerts and a picnic concert. That should keep us cultured for a bit!

That's it for now. Gotta do some writing, and then some reading - REGENERATION - for book group.

Happy Solstice!

No comments: