31 March 2009

Spring break!

What luxury to wake up in the morning and know that the day is mine. I own it. I can choose to do whatever the heck I want. I actually feel like a human being. My morning coffee gets delivered to me while I'm still in bed listening to NPR's Morning Edition. After the caffeine boost I ease out of bed and spend the next half hour or so reading the New York Times.

And then my mood changes. I feel utterly helpless at the state of the world. What does it all mean? Am I allowed to smile? Can I just take it easy and enjoy the sunshine and the spring flowers? Or should I be doing something about the economy? Is Geithner a good guy or a bad guy? Why is Paul Krugman so critical? Is he really god? Obama - is he amking the right decisions? Are there right decisions? I can't stew about this. It's my spring break after all.
So, I push aside the news about GM and AIG and the G20 summit, and put on my bathing suit. Half an hour of swimming, then a soak in the spa, and relaxing in the steam room. Oh, what joy!

Back home I realize I have all the time in the world to catch up with email and read news blogs and peruse Facebook. I know what you're thinking. Aren't you working on a book, you ask??? FFS, don't I deserve a few days of pretending I have all the time in the world to do whatever I want?

Yes, yes, I'm about to get out my manuscript and work on the next chapter.

No comments: