10 May 2009

The Fire is Almost Out!

It's Mother's Day and I started the day with a call to my dearest mum. With the fire under control and everyone back in their homes I woke up feeling great. Then chatting with Mum I felt even happier. She was treated to home made roast lamb and salads by her daughter in law, Risha. Pam and I sent her flowers so she's having a pretty good day.
Here in Santa Barbara, the weather has cooled down a whole lot and we are all so, so delighted about it. We spent the morning sweeping out ash and unpacking boxes. Sadly, homes were destroyed by this fire, but not as many as feared - I think a little over 30. The last fire - the Tea Fire - in November took down close to 200 homes. So even though the Jesusita Fire (named after a trail where the fire started - and is not meant to be Jesus it's a fire!) was so much more of a battle it wasn't as destructive as the previous fire.
It was such a good feeling today to think about normal things - like international news and summer vacation and read Maureen Dowd's column and view a clip of Obama's funny speech at the WH press dinner last night, etc.
Only 3 serious weeks of school left. I can't believe it. Am I ready for summer?
Have a great week, folks!

No comments: