06 May 2009

Smoldering Santa Barbara

Another fire devours our mountain slopes. The fourth major one in less than two years. This is getting old. My school is closed today because of the fire. Our second "fire" day this year. Many of my students had to be evacuated from their homes last night. Fortunately, we aren't in any danger where we live so no need to prepare for evacuations. It seems that things are under control now - twenty hours after is all started.

So, on another topic, Daryl and I are proud to say that we have been working hard to help the economy. We have just bought a huge flat screen TV, an iPod Touch, and a Blu-ray player, to name just a few of our purchases. We feel smug about this - the act of purchasing, that is. In fact, we might even be accused of, ahem, dare I say it, patriotism! I have to say, this consumerist behavior is all rather discombobulating, though. We agonize over how to offset our carbon footprints each time we watch a DVD on the monster screen. The guilt - oh the guilt .... Someday, perhaps when these gadgets are passe, we'll be able to enjoy them.

Is it really the last month of school? I'm not counting the days. It's May, ffs. My absolute favorite month of the year. Here, in Santa Barbara, there's beauty all over. Our mountain slopes are still green and flowers are in bloom everywhere. The purple jacaranda flowers are gorgeous. And what a pleasure to shop at farmer's market. Fava beans, asparagus, basil, peas - yum, yum. Goodbye lentils and dried beans and soups. Our friends, Brangwyn and Stephan taught me how to make this delicious fava bean spread flavored with mint and lemon juice and served with warm pita. It's a winner!

At school, I'm having the best time ever with my 3rd graders. I adore them all. They love learning and are so eager to please. Sometimes, I feel guilty about working them too hard. I tend to raise the bar a tad high and I know I ought to relax a bit regarding my expectations. At the moment we are working on a play/musical. This is an established third grade event at my school and whoever came up with the idea - I salute you. What a great way to maintain enthusiasm as the school year winds down. Out play is called TIDEPOOL CONDOS. It's the story of how Poseidon persuades a realtor not to build condominiums on the beach. Cute, funny, with songs the kids love singing. So we're having fun.

Now, if only my writing life would flourish! I need to place my historical fiction with some nice publisher and finish my current project asap!!

No comments: