14 January 2008

Cochin

I had quite an eventful day yesterday as I made my way to Cochin. I felt a bit stressed about taking a train by myself, but it all worked in a pretty uncomplicated manner, except for the fact that the train was close to an hour late. A young woman from Coimbatore (Raji) - a software engineer working in Cochin sat next to me on the train. She was very friendly and chatty - quite curious about life in the west and the differences I had seen. She insisted that I share her breakfast with her - some delcious savory semolina thing her mom had made. Yum! After five hours on the train as we approached Cochin Ranji spoke to someone and found out that the train was going to stop first at a smaller station north of the city. She said she needed to get off but I had to get off at the next station. Well, the train sped up and stopped 15 minutes later. Alarm bells went off in my head but I got off and found I was in the middle of nowhere. Someone from the train looked at me and I said, "South station?" He said no we had already left Cochin! The train started to move - I couldn't get back on. I looked around and saw nothing - just grass and trees - then on the other side of the tracks two hundred meters further on I saw a station. I had to figure out how to go down a four foot high wall, cross two tracks with my luggage and then get up the wall on the other side. I saw a 'ramp' - two shaky planks and realized it was my only choice. An old man was also negotiating the same problem - I copied him, hauling my luggage up on the platform, then getting on all fours to get up the 'ramp'. At this point I was really stressed. I hadn't used a bathroom since 7:00 in the morning and it was now 3:00. Once in the sation I felt a little better because there were people around and nice cars parked at the front. An autorick appeared and I asked if he could take me to my hotel in Cochin. I would have paid w whatever amount he asked for!!! If only he knew! The old man hovered around and also needed to get somewhere in Cochin so I was definitely not going to get ripped off. So off we went with the promise of being dropped off right at the door of my hotel! Phew!

Once at the hotel I showered and walked around. I found Cochin to be a most enjoyable city. It looks relatively prosperous with nice buildings and reasonable roads. No beggars or people lying on the streets. People don't bother you. Everyone is polite and friendly.

I wandered around in search of a good restaurant because I really wanted thought I deserved a good meal. Near my hotel is a swanky five star hotel with an awesome restaurant. And I knew I'd found what I was looking for. For dinner they had an enormous spread of various curries - many local specialties, different rices dishes, salads, etc. and then they bring to your table freshly made apam (a crepe like bread). What a feast. Then the dessert options - about ten different delicious things - mango mousse, chocolate cake, payasam, fruit salad, Indian sweets, etc.
I was in heaven. The place catered to rich travelers from abroad so it was definitely not authentic India. But, my goodness, I'm sure it's the best Indian food I've ever eaten anywhere in the world.

After dinner a group of us from our hotel went to a nearby temple to see a celebration. It was a Shiva temple and it was the oldest temple in Cochin. At the temple the main attraction was three elephants that were decorated and people were riding on them as they paraded around the temple followed by people singing devotional songs and playing music on flutes and drums. It was all very colorfula nd interesting. I did feel sorry for the elephants though, but I won't elaborate!!

Today I'm going to explore the historical quarters of this city - Fort Cochin and Matancherry.

1 comment:

Olive Branch Traders said...

BRAVO!!!!
You are definitely becoming a seasoned and brave solo traveler!
Janis